Thursday, November 17, 2005

Death Cab For Indie

In general, I've always labelled myself a hip-hop head -- musically speaking, that is. The Roots, Atmosphere, Talib Kweli, Common, old school Outkast, The Grouch and Lyrics Born, mixed in with a little Erykah Badu. Nate Dogg, Snoop, Dre, and Warren G represent my staple Dub-C jams. Lately, I've grown steadily tired of manufactured commercial rap beats, pimp juice, and hapless homies slangin' rock or rolling in the benjamins all over the goddamn radio airwaves.

Save for Kayne West, of course.

Kevin, Bean, and the entire crew over at KROQ seriously rock my world. Each morning, not only do they make me laugh out loud in my car (making me look like a crazy loon to all other drivers in Southern California) while stuck on the 10 West to the 605 South to the 60 East to the 10 West, they accost my ears with the best rock ever.

Thank the Lord for the following bands: Death Cab For Cutie, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Gorillaz, The Bravery, Papa Roach, Switchfoot, Blink-182, Keane, Oasis, and (no groaning, y'all alterna-music snobs) Coldplay.

Albums about to spend a few months/years on my shelf or those which I refuse to purchase: Anything recent by the Black Eyed Peas. I don't even get their lyrics any more, they sound like some incoherent fifth graders spewing makeshift rhymes to me. What happened to pre-Fergie BEP joints, like "What It is"? Now that's a classic.

So maybe this post wasn't really about fashion, but we all know that good music will never go out of style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home