Wednesday, August 05, 2009

That's Rad.

A few days ago, I had a bit of a realization: I'm in love with drapery when it comes to clothing.

My deduction came fast, as I mentally ticked off all the labels I love, like Complex Geometries, Doo.Ri, Donna Karan and local label, Mandula. There's something about the way a fabric can be made to fall that takes my breath away at times, the way it can change the whole aura of the woman wearing it.

That's why when I saw the new Rad by Rad Hourani collection (the designer's secondary line), I basically stopped breathing (in a good way!).

Think more layering, more sharp lines and even more androgyny than Alexander Wang, but with that similar rock-chic edge that's made the latter such a current household name among fashion-philes. There's monochromatic cashmere, leather, rayon, coated cotton, and -- the mother of all drape-y fabrics -- jersey.

Hourani, who grew up in Montreal and was formerly a sought-after stylist, was already on the pulse of this newer aesthetic vision back in 2007, after Rick Owens and before Wang.

So I say hooray for Hourani.








I'm Lovin' it: The mother of Sea of Shoes' Jane Aldrige is so ridiculously stylish for someone over 40, it's criminal. But now it's really quite obvious where Jane gets her knack for the sartorial from.





I'm Over it: Today has not enough hours in it. Sigh. Back to work.


Track of the Day: "Fire Ant" by Bibio. This UK music producer-slash-solo artist came on recommendation from my best guy friend. Though iTunes classifies his Ambivalence Avenue album as folk, it's definitely also one of those where it's hard to pin down particular genre. I like this track in particular because it has very a distinct hip-hop, scratching influence. Very fun to bob my head to.






* Photos property of frillr.com, Rad Hourani, mushrecords.com and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home