Thursday, February 05, 2009

Banksy's New Muse

Pshaw, social commentary and such.

Banksy's got a new(ish) muse: Kate Moss.

The guerilla graffiti artist actually did this print about two or three years ago, but it's up for auction again at Bonhams in London and is expected to make over $200,000 USD.

These prints were Banksy's take on Kate Moss photos, only done in the style of Andy Warhol's famous silk-screen prints of Marilyn Monroe.

Hmmmm. Come to think of it, Banksy making a parallel between Moss and Monroe could be classified as social commentary.

After all, substance abuse is a linking factor between the two.

Let's just hope an overdose doesn't prove to be the second.

Ugh, so macabre today. Maybe I've been watching too much Six Feet Under.






I'm Lovin' it: Working at this new place near my apartment called Raw Canvas, drinking sour cherry tea. It's this amazing hybrid between a cafe, living room, art space and painting studio. They've been playing the best music here, from Radiohead to pseudo-break beats to some fantastic glam-electro that I don't recognize (wish I had the Shazam application on my iPhone right now!). Anyway, love it here. And the Wi-Fi is quick like a bunny.




I'm Lovin' it, Part Deux: My buddy Tys V. is teaching me how to deejay, okay! He's pretty much a multi-hyphenate: the marketing manager for Bacardi for this coast, a retail store owner, writer, house DJ in town...you name it, Tys is probably doing it already. And he's about the nicest guy ever. Anyway, yay for free pointers on the turntables!





I'm Over it: The catch-up game. I desperately need to go away for a day or two -- by my lonesome -- and just get 'er done. Organize my '09 calendar, figure out my travel situations this year (um, possibly Coachella and Zurich, then for sure Hawaii, New Zealand/Australia and Miami), reapply for some legal documents (which need to be replaced, thanks to someone pickpocketing my wallet and makeup bag last Friday), read up on blogs and books I've fallen behind on, clean up-slash-reorganize my MacBook and just veg the heck out. Anyone have a getaway pad they want to lend me for a weekend??


Track of the Day: "Hear It In The Cans" by We Have Band. Genre, you ask? "Disco-rock" from London, along the same vein as The Rapture. Ah yes, and they do a fantastic cover of the Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls". Check out their track "Oh!" below.








* Photos property of Haute Hippie, pinglewood.com, vogue.co.uk and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home