Thursday, February 07, 2008

State of Dakota

Yesterday afternoon, I was treated to a sneak preview of B.B. Dakota's new Spring '08 collection at the Opus Hotel.

And, like predicted yesterday, I saw bags and dresses I wanted so very badly.

Besides briefly catching up with other industry gals I hadn't seen in awhile, I got a chance to chit-chat with the brand's designer Gloria Brandes, who is most certainly a very nice woman (she's a Montrealer gone O.C.), as well as got to nibble on some scrumptious tea party treats (the mini scone stuffed with cream and jam was completely sinful, in a good way) and sip on orange pekoe tea.

The collection for spring was heavy on the blacks, whites and brights.

There was the black and white leopard print tent dress splashed with acid yellow and topped off with a long, black front bow. Then there was the electric blue patent purse with white piping that was three times the size of my head. Of course, the almost-sheer white dress with ruffles and red stitching drew awes from all us fashionistas, while the Miu Miu-inspired patent black bag with ivory handles had everyone rushing to talk to my friend Seems (the event's publicist) about putting it on backorder. Brandes turned out summer-worthy separates -- tie- shorts, flower-print skirts, sweet short-sleeve button ups and a version of Balenciaga's coveted nazy and white blazer from last season -- that may be Teen Vogue-approved, but can be worn by women in their 30s, too.

By far, though, the item I coveted the most was the Balenciaga Spring '08-inspired zip-up dress. Instead of the pastel mini floral prints Ghesquiere sent down the runway, Brandes made her floral prints big, splashy and eye-catching but kept the exaggerated armor-like shoulders and mini dress length.

Something tells me I really shouldn't have eaten that last mini scone.

PS. Thanks to Gloria for the new B.B. bag and to Stila for the cosmetics!













I'm Lovin' it: This picture taken at the Great Wall of China. Seriously, the fashionistas at Fendi's presentation last year on the Great Wall must've freaked out when they realized they had no choice but to hold in the liters of water and Slim Fast they consumed pre-show for a very, very long time.






I'm Over it: My broken vacuum cleaner. The mysterious white lint on my living room floor is starting to tick me off.


Art of the Day: This info comes from Wooster Collective, naturally. A Murakami billboard went up on Melrose Avenue in L.A. to announce the Louis Vuitton/Murakami exhibit and pop-up store, which subsequently got tagged by some famous local graff artists. Then the billboard went down, presumably due to the defacing. Turns out Takashi Murakami saw the vandalized billboard online and loved it so much, he got it shipped back to his studio in Tokyo. Now that's how you do an art deal.







* Photos property of Wooster Collective, B.B. Dakota and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home