Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy Friday: The "I Love Viktor & Rolf" Edition.

Surrealism has long been an aesthetic genre and movement that I've gravitated toward, ever since the beginning stages of my appreciation for art and design.

Confession: I have a love for things a little on the dark side.

Surrealist artists like Salvador Dali and Marchel Duchamp (and contemporaries like Lori Earley), films like The Cell and The Fall (and the upcoming Alice in Wonderland from Tim Burton) and now designers like Viktor & Rolf are my cup of tea (cue the Mad Hatter!).

The surreal gowns -- with cutouts, sharp layers and angled tulle -- that came from the Dutch designer duo are beyond stunning, really they are. Photographer Josh Olins did such a mind-blowing job of capturing model Magdalena Frackowiak in them that my jaw dropped to the floor after seeing the spread (I have yet to pick it up from there).

This absolute photographic gem from Dazed & Confused has now gained a space in my Top Ten Editorials of All Time, earning a spot next to Annie Leibovitz's Alice in Wonderland spread with Natalia Vodianova for American Vogue, December 2003.

Now that is for (sur)real.

Happy Friday!

xo
Haute Hippie












I'm Lovin' it: Meeting new people with positive energy! Met a lovely gal this morning for a work-related sit down, and she was good vibes. Me likes that.


I'm Over it: It's INSANE that metered parking has gone up to $6 per hour. Who is this city kidding?!


Track of the Day: Going to You Say Party! We Say Die! and Phoenix tonight, so I'm going with "1901" from Wolfgang Amadeus.





* Photos property of Dazed & Confused and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home