Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Sisters Olsen

Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are young, rich, pretty (depending on whose looking), intelligent (yep, they are) and induce considerable fashion envy.

Gone are all traces of cheesy Michelle Tanner, that much is for certain.

The twin power duo are dropping their first book ever on October 28, a 272-page hardcover tome called Influence, featuring Mary Kate's mug on front and Ashley's on back. With editor and pal Derek Blasberg (he of Blasblog on Style.com) in tow, MK +A interviewed the coolest of the cool from art, photography, fashion and design worlds.

Christian Louboutin, Terry Richardson, Lauren Hutton, Richard Prince, John Galliano and Karl Lagerfeld took time out of their respective fabulously busy lives to answer a few questions the Olsens threw out to them. Interviewees provided pictures and illustrations, too. Oh la la, an illustration from Galliano...let me see, please!

The result is a fantastic -- and sometimes hilarious -- coffee table book that SO belongs in my living room.

Here's a nice interview excerpt from my fave, Karl Lagerfeld: "I don't work with many men. I don't want to ask the men about the fashion. Their opinion doesn't interest me."

But, Karl, you're a man!

Anyway, see you at the bookstore on October 28.







I'm Lovin' it: Lykke Li and Friendly Fires! Playing a $19 show at the venue a block from my apartment on October 28. Mon dieu, October 28 is going to be the best day ever.







I'm Over it: So yesterday, my roomie Steffie emailed me and called me all day, wanting to see if I wanted to go with her to see Paul Smith speak at an invite-only, intimate event at our luxe department store downtown. I didn't get the email and my phone is still buggered, so I made plans to go for a night run with Tom Tom. Then Steffie came home and delivered the bad news: She unfortunately filled my spot with someone else. Anyway, apparently Sir Paul Smith was just awesome and friendly, showing the crowd a load of slides, talking about his illustrious career. And then everyone got the cutest Paul Smith mug with his signature stripes. Woe is me. Leni, where was my official invitation, girlfriend?! You're usually so good about these things ;)


Art of the Day: If you're in New York, please please please check out Banksy's Village Pet Store and Charcoal Grill. Those Chicken McNugget animatronic animals pecking at a container of BBQ sauce are priceless.







* Photos property of unbeige/mediabistro.com, superhumanoid.com and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home