Monday, May 26, 2008

The Best of Balmain

Whomever is behind the French label Balmain -- founded by the late Pierre Balmain in the early 20th century -- is a genius.

Ever since that short, black Balmain number made it onto the Zone Diet bodies of Celine Dion and Diane Kruger, I've been taking special note of one-shouldered frocks from the French house making paparazzi-worthy appearances.

Like these ones on French Vogue editrix (and my fashion hero) Carine Roitfeld and her equally stylish daughter Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, both snapped during a day at Cannes.

I noticed a few one-shouldered tops and dresses, a la Balmain, at the new downtown H&M that just opened up here -- ah, how I wish I spoke to the MisShapes' Leigh Lezark instead of lamely taking a camera phone picture! -- and seeing as how it is H&M, the price tag will obviously be a whole lot more affordable than an original.

Though I highly doubt putting on a one-shouldered will get me anywhere looking like either Roitfeld, but hey, a girl can dream.







I'm Lovin' it: Beach Saturdays and BBQ Sundays. A huge crew of us trekked to Kid-d's mom's place out in the boonie 'burbs so the guys could have a few go-rounds of paintball, followed by a delicious BBQ and a few hours of chilling in nature. It was a far cry from the constant police sirens and crazy people yelling at each other outside my apartment building. And you know, it really was kind of nice.


I'm Over it: Pesky mosquitos from those few hours of chilling in nature. It made me remember the pros of city living.


Track of the Day: For someone who enjoys a lot of different kinds of music, I will sheepishly admit to not having listened to much of hippie-dippie Devendra Banhart. Yesterday on the drive back from the 'burbs, Kenzo threw on some Banhart for the Sher Bear and I to hear. His song "Little Yellow Spider" is pretty funny, a sort of cutesy kind of tribute to animals of the world. My favorite verse? Hands down this one:

"Well, I came upon a dancing crab, and I stopped to watch it shake
I said, "Dance for me just one more time
Before you hibernate and you come out a crab cake."


Sher Bear and I burst out laughing when that came on. God, I love crab cakes.











* Photos property of popsugar.com, jameskendi.com and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home