Wednesday, February 13, 2008

La Bodega

Thanks to working with Jenks and Sandwich -- and to a new pair of rubber kicks from Christian at Creative Recreation -- I've developed a newfound appreciation for sneaks.

So when Jenks told me about Bodega in Boston -- run by the triad of Oliver Mak, Jay Gordon and Dan Natola -- I was ready to hop on a plane to Beantown.

Masked as a traditional bodega, you can walk in and pick up laundry detergent, chips, candy, toilet paper, soda and Spam -- if you're none the wiser. But step in front of the magic soda machine and it slides to the side, revealing a grade-A, hidden store-within-a-store full of 10deep, JB Classics, Puma, Still Life, Undrcrwn, Gravis, Nossa, Nike, Coup D'Etat, Mishka and the like. Shoes, jackets, hats and belts sit on shelves lining the walls, and by all accounts, the Bodega staff are super-stylish, super-cool and super-friendly.

Bodega's popularity started off by word of mouth (the place doesn't even have a sign), but grew to hardcore press as more and more sneaker freakers began populating the corner of 6 Clearway Street. The venue doubles as an art exhibition space, as well as a showroom for their own Bodega collection of designs, too.

So I'll get around to booking a flight to where the Red Sox are king.

Just as soon as I put on my Creative Recs.










I'm Lovin' it: My new gold ballet flats from Old Navy. Oh, and did I mention they were 99 cents?? For serious. I just showed my girl Sangria the flats -- and the price tag -- to which she exclaimed, "What, 99 cents?! You can't even get a pack of gum for 99 cents!!"

I'm Over it: Technical difficulties at work. Tomorrow is going to be a looooooong day for me, Jenks and Sandwich.


Track of the Day: I spent too many minutes of my morning today trying to find the Dan The Automator remix of Le Soleil Est Pres by Air. Unfortunately, the only clip I could find is this short one from Amazon (click #4). Muchas gracias to the uber-cool chick at Zulu Records who ordered me Dan The Automator's remix album "Wanna Buy A Monkey?" that has this track, which arrives in two weeks!







* Photos property of snickarsrecords.com, freshnessmag.com, ohmygowda.com, nytimes.com and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home