Saturday, November 18, 2006

Icon Take It Anymore

Everything happens for a reason.

Months ago I was in talks to do freelance website fashion copywriting for Iconology, a fabulous new boutique owned by Michelle Tyree (former L.A. retail market editor of Women's Wear Daily) and her sister Jackie Dalton, after I had written an article on their store for 944 Magazine.

Anyhow, both parties got busy and I ended up freelance copywriting for a "Big Boutique" (I'm witholding the name to protect related parties and my awesome ex-co workers). When the "Big Boutique" went through some major website budget cuts, I was bummed BUT a week and a half later (ie. last week), Michelle Tyree rang me to ask if I was still interested in working with them -- and for more pay than my former employer. I'd been waiting for that call forever!

Thus, my belief that everything happens for a reason. And thank the lord, because I love love love my new work and colleagues. I mean, what die-hard fashionista doesn't like oogling over (and in my case, also writing about) Oscar De La Renta shoes, Behnaz Sarafpour pieces, funky jewelry, Inhabit cashmere sweaters, Assouline books and Rory Beca dresses while sipping Izze sparkling fruit juice and listening to booty-shaking music blaring from an iPod?

Not to mention meeting some other uber-awesome people during the store photoshoot. Big ups to Tyler (a shamefully cute but hitched photographer from WWD) for taking good product photos while attempting to force me to do a Borat impression along with everyone else. Hope you eventually find that Banana Frappe at Starbucks someday, Ty (hint: they don't exist). Also, a high-five to Debrah (a former model-turned-stylist) for cracking me up with her Texas-speak. I particularly enjoyed her use of the obsolete word "scoot" (in verb form).

All in all, it was a successful first day at the office. Except for getting that parking ticket right outside the boutique, though I begged and pleaded for the parking guy not to go through with it.

Alas, no dice. I got served. Damn parking enforcement.










I'm Lovin' it: I'm not a particularly religious person (though I would classify myself as spiritual, special thanks to Deepak Chopra), I went to my parents' church Father/Daughter banquet last night at the request of my dad. It turned out to be fun -- save for the religious rock ballads warbled by resident church singer Ben -- and the Olive Garden lasagna for dinner hit the spot. The best thing? My dad got me a room at a nice OC hotel to do whatever I wanted, as a sort of father/daughter present. And so I wouldn't drive home to Santa Monica late at night. I took the evening to luxuriate myself in the plush king size bed while eating a brownie chocolate sundae, reading a hilarious music album-influenced short story by my friend L. and flipping through fashion magazines -- with a hilarious Family Guy episode blaring in the background. Ahhh, pure bliss.

I'm Over it: Old Navy running out of their Special Edition skinny jeans! I'm putting a hex on your entire second-fiddle-to-The Gap company. After I find a pair of Special Editions in a short length size four, I mean.

Albums of the weekend: I don't usually like to profit off the misfortunes of others, but the Going Out Of Business sale at Tower Records is a godsend for all music lovers. Below are the albums I picked up last week.

1. Lemonade from G. Love: Feel good acoustic grooves in the tune of Ben Harper and Jack Johnson -- both of whom are featured in some of the songs. Props to G. Love for hooking up with Blackalicious for his track "Banger".

2. Feedback from Jurassic 5: Fly hip-hop beats that'll have your head nodding from track one to track 15. Cool album cover, too.

3. The Cosmic Game from Thievery Corporation: I haven't yet popped this one in, but I know -- along with every other T.C. fan -- this album is already killer.

4. Antics from Interpol: There's something about good indie (is that term overexposed already?) rock that gets my blood going and head shaking every time. "Slow Hands" is my favorite on this ten-track album.

5. William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet soundtrack: This goes down in history as one of the best frickin' movie soundtracks ever. Of course, I'm talking about the Baz Luhrmann-directed flick with Danes, DiCaprio and some major Montague/Capulet family drama. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite track -- but I will shout out "#1 Crush" by Garbage, "To You I Bestow" by Mundy, "Local God" by Everclear and the "You And Me Song" by The Wannadies.

6. Magnificent City Instrumentals from RJD2: A few years ago, the semi-boyfriend of a good girlfriend introduced her to RJD2. She in turn introduced me to this amazing DJ-slash-producer, who counts ?uestlove from The Roots as one of his biggest followers. I have to pick up his album "Deadringer" ASAP.

All those -- plus a Billy Joel's Greatest Hits piano book (yes, I do play) and an issue of Paper Magazine -- cost me 75% of a C-note (which is a steal, by the way), but oh-so worth it!

* Photo property of shopiconology.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home