Monday, November 20, 2006

Express Yourself

Madonna herself said it right. Express yourself.

Which is exactly what I did yesterday, on my continuous hunt for the perfect skinny jean in the the perfect length in the perfect dark indigo blue that I so love.

Yesterday I wandered into Express on Third Street Promenade in my Santa Monica hood, a divergence from the boutiques I typically visit on a shopping run. What made me go in? I couldn't really say, but it must've been written in the stars.

After meandering through mediocre tops, I ran into the denim shelves lining the back wall. And there it was: the Holy Grail of skinny jeans for those of diminutive stature, much like myself. I gingerly picked up a pair, afraid it wasn't real -- but, oh, it was. Rushing to the dressing room, I tried it on...only to find it I needed a size smaller. Woo hoo!

Of course, they didn't have my size. I was sent by the lovely and friendly Priscilla to the Express location at Westside Pavillion on Pico Boulevard, where the short length size four fit like a charm. Not only did I buy the skinnies, I also invested in the flare style in the same wash and same stitched back pockets.

Purchasing two great pairs of jeans for a total of $128 (including tax!) in a fashion world full of $250 J Brands and $300 True Religions?!

I done good yesterday, if I do say so myself.











* Sidenote: Other purchases included a massive square-cut dark champagne cocktail ring from Express (obviously faux in nature) , a silky v-neck top from Old Navy (for a 20-spot) and that pumpkin-flavored gloss I raved about a few postings ago from Bath & Bodyworks for my beautiful momma (who complained why I never buy her anything when I let her try my tube). I almost entered the hallowed doors of Tower Records, but decided against dropping another $75 on CDs -- for now.

I'm Lovin' it: The booming L.A. art scene. Local events to check out: Wooster Collective artist and friend Topher (nee Christofer Chin) -- whose art graced a recent cover of Flaunt Magazine -- at Sixspace Gallery in Culver City on Saturday, December 2nd from 6 pm to 9 pm. And you fashion-heads, check out Skin + Bones at the MOCA. This exhibit shows the interaction between architecture and silhouettes found in fashion design. Forget what the popular kids in high school: it's cool to be artsy-fartsy.

I'm Over it: Uggs. I saw an extremely attractive guy at Whole Foods wearing a brown pair with cute cargo army pants and suddenly he became very, very ugly. Style-wise.

Track of the Day: "Broken Toy Soldier" by The Raconteurs. The "other" band to Jack White's White Stripes consists of his old friends from back in the day. Brendan Benson, Patrick Keeler and Jack Lawrence complete this round-up of sorta bluesy, sorta rock-folksy music out of Nashville, TN. I dig their guitar riffs.

www.myspace.com/theraconteurs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home