Monday, April 07, 2008

Murakami Manic

The names Takashi Murakami and Louis Vuitton are no longer mutually exclusive.

In fact, the only reason why more sartorialists like you and me know about Murakami is because of Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton. I mean, who could forget those colorful LV Murakami bags whose knock-offs ended up on every vendor cart on Canal Street and Santee Alley??

This artist-slash-theorist is probably the world's best known Japanese contemporary artists. He's been dubbed "the Japanese Andy Warhol" for referencing so much media and pop culture, blending the highs and lows of mass media, art and fashion. He's got the really expensive art and sculptures for multi-millionaires to gobble up, and toys, keychains and dolls for us plebeians to play with.

All that brings me to my point: The “©Murakami” exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum in New York.

Every cool kid was out for this event, with the highlight of the evening being a free performance by fabulously narcissistic hip-hop dandy Kanye West. I was hoping Murakami would show his "Planting The Seeds" animated short at the soiree, so I could easily find it on the web because for sure someone at the party video-ed it on their Blackberry, but looks like you can't win them all (ie. no dice).

I highly doubt this exhibit will make its way to the small contemporary art gallery a block away from my apartment, so I'll just have to admire the Murakami anime via world wide web.

Darn.







I'm Lovin' it: My joint birthday party with Aims and Kid-d is coming up in three weeks, which means a birthday outfit needs to be purchased. I'm thinking something mini and something blue. If I had my way, I'd get something from Elizabeth & James. Yes, the MK and Ashley Olsen line.








I'm Over it: Blogger is being an asshole and not letting me upload multiple pictures at once.


Track of the Day: Already posted this song eons ago, but I just got a flashback listening to this Artful Dodger remix of Para Beat's "U Got Me". Makes me want to bust a serious move in my solarium-esque apartment office, but my highrise neighbors looking in might think I'm a weirdo.







* Photos property of nytimes.com, elizabethandjames.us, contactmusic.com and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home