Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Grand Obus

Just before a client meeting today, I got into a great discussion about which glossy fashion mags were best on the newsstands.

My bantering partner named Vogue Australia as one of her faves -- and one that I've never picked up. So after my evening run, I made my way over to that fab magazine store on 4th to flip through the latest Vogue from Down Under.

Seeing as how labels from the southern hemisphere already make my heart pitter-patter, I knew I'd find a few more to add to the growing roster. Part way through my page flips, a slouchy and big-collared plaid Obus shirt caught my eye. Designer Kylie Zerbst began the brand in 2000, making practical yet playful clothes for the woman who walks to her own beat. Her Summer 2007 collection -- or "range" as they say in Oz -- is dubbed "Electric Safari" and full of slouchy layers, pants, shirts and socks. Her Fall 2007 collection is full of greys, chunky knits, smart tailoring, layering and hooded coats.

Obus in North America is only available on the right coast, so make sure to check out Blush in NYC, P. 45 in Chi-Town and Circle Boutique in DC, mate.











I'm Lovin' it: The thought that Lagerfeld Confidential is going to hit the north in 2008 sometime. This film, directed by Rodolphe Marconi, follows the day-to-day of Herr Lagerfeld and marks the first authorized biography of his life. I can't wait, wait, wait to hear all the designer's Lagerfeld-isms. There's something intelligent about "Personality begins where comparison ends." There's also something to "Yes, some people say to me you're too skinny, but never a skinny person says that to me, only people who could lose a few pounds say that." Oh Karl, you blunt dog, you.






I'm Over it: How -- by the end of my evening run today -- I couldn't feel my face or hands, actually saw ice in a puddle and finished up just after 5 pm in complete darkness. Yuppers. Winter is here.


Art of the Day: Way back in the day, when still a uni student, I thought taking a film studies class would be fun. And so it was, for the most part -- my prof was pretty crazy. Anyhoo, we watched a film adaption -- directed by famed Italian director Luchino Visconti -- of the Thomas Mann book Death In Venice. Fast forward to just recently, when the artist Nick Walker created his take on what reminds me of a very poignant scene in the movie, where the protagonist rows away from the shores of Lido. Don't be fooled by the bright colors of Walker's piece -- to me, the dripping colors are as macabre as the beginning and end of Visconti's tragic film.








* Photos property of obus.com.au, Nick Walker, Lagerfeld Confidential and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home