Thursday, September 20, 2007

B.B.'s Gun

Before heading into the office, I had a little time to kill. And there's no better way to kill time than to stop in a really awesome store you love.

In my case, this would be Mintage, located both on Commercial Drive and West Cordova in Gastown.

This was my first brush with B.B Dakota, a Laguna Beach-based line from Gloria Brandes -- who also happens to be a Canadian, via Montreal. She started her label back in 1986 (the birfday year of my l'il sis Roy-Boy!), bringing a little French vetements (translastion: clothing) aesthetic to SoCal. Today, B.B. Dakota is quite the fashion insider fave, gaining a ton of press momentum for the past two years. You've got e-tailers like Karmaloop carrying the clothing, as well as big, bad American department stores like Nordstrom toting it, too.

I'm particularly enamored with the "Hilda" plaid trench coat in green.

Though I'd also settle for the red houndstooth vest with grey faux fur trim, long cable sweater and "Royale" minidress in purple.














I'm Lovin' it: This New York Time's article called Between A Tan And A Hard Frost. It basically addresses my own summer-to-fall fashion transition, a time of confusion that often brings up issues such as:

Should I put away my short shorts just yet?
Is it too early to stash my dresses?
Do I need to start bringing out the tights?
Is a jacket my next fashion purchase?
Where can I find woolly, over-the-knee socks to go with my boots?

So many questions...


I'm Over it: Tyra Banks' Vegas showgirl/cabaret singer intro-slash-performance on yesterday's season premiere of America's Next Top Model. Her voice is, um, not good.


Art of the Day: The world needs more people like Jen Bekman, an LES (Lower East Side) gallerist turned internet art guru. She understands many people just love art, but often can't afford all those astronomically high price for cool creations. So, she's set it up that up-and-coming artists get featured on her site with limited edition works that sell for increments of $20, $200 and $2000 (prices dependent on size) -- new stuff goes up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 5pm PST. Purchase online and get it shipped a tu casa and -- voila! A limited edition work of art in your place that'll give everyone something to talk about.








* Photos property of shop.nordstrom.com, 20x200.com, the artist Jennifer Sanchez and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home