Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Spat It Out

My first encounter with spats was the first time I ever watched an epidose of Duck Tales.

I was seven.

Scrooge McDuck had some serious ones on his webbed feet and -- dayum! -- did he ever make them look good.

New-York based French cobbler Jean-Michel Cazabat designed patent leather pumps with a spats-like feel to them, available online at mega e-tailer Shop Bop. Cazabat -- whose designs are heavily influenced by art and music -- was formerly the creative director of Charles Jourdan (who hired one of my fave fashion photogs Guy Bourdin to do all his super subversive ad campaigns in the 80s) and is a close friend of accessories guru Stephane Kelian.

These stiletto heels are at a fasherazzi-manageable 4 inches with a sexy wide instep that mimicks the classic spat, only this time for the ladies.

Unca Scrooge would be so proud.







I'm Lovin' it: Everyone who's anyone knows about Fritz European Fry House on Davie Street. It's the oh-so-popular site of drunken revellers, waiting for that magical poutine (gotta love the call of, "One medium poooouuuuuutiiiiine!") or cone of Belgian fries and dip to soak up four hours of excessive inebriation. Though I've sworn off poutine -- can't have clogged arteries before 30 -- and now remain loyal only to Numero Uno Pizza post-bar, I sure would't mind having this french fry holder with condiment server from Williams Sonoma. Looks like those traditional, British fries (or as the Brits say, "chips") wrapped in newspaper. Jolly good!








I'm Over it: Too many options for viewing the fireworks tonight and only one Haute Hippie to get to all of them. Yeah yeah, I gotta pick just a single event for tonight. Boo hoo.


Album of the Day: My co-worker Nicky P. and I were in full-fledged discussion about the invincibility of Tupac and Death Row Records during its hey-day at about, oh, 9 am this morning. I then remembered Tupac's "All Eyez On Me" album was in my car, which I ran down to fetch. After flipping through my CD case, I came across this free CD that came in the November 2004 music issue of Vanity Fair. Quite excitedly, I popped it into my iTunes and remembered just how fantastic this mixed compilation was -- we're talking Ryan Adams, The Roots, Sonic Youth, Keane, Loretta Lynn and Sam Roberts. It's indie, acoustic-y cool and completely un-buyable now. Sorry 'bout that.







* Photos property of shopbop.com, williams-sonoma.com, Google Images and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home