Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day '07!

Happy V-Day, all!

One of my last week's posts pin-pointed my eventual whereabouts this evening to be at my friend Heath B.'s place, taking part in an anti-Valentine's Day celebration with no men, a little hockey-watching (Heath, I know your pad is an anti-sports zone but just for one night!) and a possible viewing of the ultimately-girly chick flick "Step Up".

Just because I'm attending an anti-Valentine's function doesn't mean I'm bitter and miserly. Having a special someone would be absolutely fantastic -- never been opposed to that -- it's just not happening this year. But getting V-day texts from those you care about is kinda nice, too.

I may not be in love with anyone at the moment, but there are many, many things I DO love:

1. The Free People faded black, sleeveless silk shift I saw yesterday at Aritzia. Perfect with either super-opaque or super-shiny-opaque tights (which have been a nightmare to find on the internet). Would also go well with those purple square-toe heels sitting on the shelf at Winners downtown, calling my name over and over again (no, I'm not crazy).





2. Urban Outfitters and H & M opening shop in Vancouver. H & M will open this fall, while Urban Outfitters is still TBA. Once this happens, expect a slew of people wearing the same thing, so make sure to mix and match. Avoid head-to-toe H & M/Urban Outfitters looks, unless it truly is a one-piece.

3. The expansion of Holt Renfrew Vancouver. It's the Saks Fifth Avenue/Bergdorf Goodman of Canada, so enough said.




4. That schwarma place DanTang took us to on Commerical Drive, pre-Prison Break last week. The chicken platter is the way to go. And the tabouli is awesome, great for taking away garlick-y hummus breath.

3. Anything Banksy, Shepard Fairey, Jason Brooks, or Miss Van.










4. Daily, trashy gossip from Perez Hilton. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple months ago -- the guy is a freakin' hoot.






5. Sebastian Super Shaper hairspray. You can find it at any upscale drugstore or salon. It gives me Tinsley Mortimer-worthy curls -- and it's less than $20.








6. Watching Lost DVDs till 2 am. Well, I don't love the lack of sleep but that's my own damn fault. Oh, and Sawyer rules.







7. Joe Zee, the new creative director for Elle Magazine who comes with a portfolio as W Magazine fashion director, Vitals editor, stylist and major fashion heavy-weight with a dapper, likeable demeanor. His first full-reign issue will be this September. He's on my top ten list of people to meet, along with Miranda Priestly. Right. I mean Anna Wintour, who may or may not cold-stare me to death.







8. All skin care products by world-reknowned dermatologist Dr. Zein Obagi. Had a consultation with him at his Beverly Hills headquarters last December and he literally saved my ailing complexion. He's not cheap at all -- a consultation run into the few hundreds and a first round of his product system goes well into the early thousands. But believe me when I say he works miracles.

9. My beloved Toyota Scion TC, which is currently missing me like crazy in L.A. while waiting to be shipped to me in Vancouver. We're going to have a beautiful Summer 2007 together.







10. Net-A-Porter, where fashionistas with Dom Perignon tastes and Miller Lite budgets can either: a) blow their entire month's rent or b) drool onto their computer keys while browsing new product from Chloe, Matthew Williamson, Jovovich-Hawk, Christian Louboutin, Prada and...need I go on?








11. Chocolate-covered strawberries from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Or any hotel with it on their room service menu.

12. Sliced mushrooms and zucchini, sauteed in olive oil and pepper. A random love, I know. But it's tasty and keeps the figure trim for all that haute couture and skinny pants.

13. Bulgari, Thierry Mugler or Del Mar by Baldessarini cologne on men. I'm such an olfactory-inclined person, so sexy, strong scents on a male (that I like, of course) get me every time. And please let me know if I spray too much Gucci Rush or Christian Dior Addict on myself...such a bad habit of mine! Two or three spritzes: good. Five or more sprays: mucho dinero.



14. Heels of all shapes, colors, silhouettes and brands. I WILL own a pair of Christian Louboutins someday, just you see.

15. That white and navy blue L.A.M.B. wallet I saw at Holt Renfrew the other day. White is certainly not practical -- given the tossing around my current wallet gets -- but it sure as heck looks pretty. Nordstrom doesn't carry that particular style, but it has other equally good choices.





16. My family -- whom I miss and love like crazy. Hi mom and dad!

17. My friends -- some Angeleno pals whom I miss dearly while living up north, but most friends of whom are so near in promixity and dear to my heart here in Vancouver.

18. My new editorial coordinator position at The V List Magazine! Literally just received the good news via phone. This side job should satisfy my appetite for fashion/luxury/lifestyle writing, and I'm beyond excited to work with the Virani team.

19. 944 Magazine. Always and forever.




20. "Me" time. Usually consists of comfy clothes, a toasty room, a stack of magazines, hot chocolate, chilling background music and maybe some Junior Mints. Or browsing the shelves at Chapters, trying to read everything possible without having to break out the change. I whipped through "He's Just Not That Into You" in 30 minutes at Barnes & Noble in 2005.



21. Photography. Anyone from Mario Testino to Annie Leibowitz to Man Ray to Steven Klein to Patrick McMullan (does he count?) to Bruce Webber to Irving Penn. As someone who occasionally has trouble with digital cameras, I'm insanely jealous of those who have the knack for taking beautiful images.







22. Fashion. If I need to explain this (after all, you are reading this blog), then you're -- pardon my french -- an imbecile.








23. All of you out there who read my blog on a daily basis and who love reading it as much as I love writing it. Thank you.


As a closing comment, let me just say this: if you have a special someone, make sure that every day -- not just February 14th -- is Valentine's Day.

Intimate moments, passionate kisses, warm hugs, loving looks, admiration, respect, laughter and all.


xo
Haute Hippie








* Photos property of Google Images

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home