Monday, December 04, 2006

Artsy-Fartsy

This weekend, it was all about getting artfully cultured -- minus the black beret, black outfit, mustache and to-go espresso cup.

On Saturday, my roomie E., my friend A. and I decided to check out "There Goes The Neighborhood: Part Deux" art exhibit at up-and-coming gallery Sixspace in Culver City. Apparently, the area is becoming a hotbed of hip galleries -- if you're art-inclined, this just might be the spot for you to check out. I would say there were a total of ten or so pieces hung for viewing -- Christofer Chin's acrylic paintings definitely took the cool cake this time 'round -- but the space was rather small and not conducive to long bouts of mingling. Minor celeb sighting: Nicole Linkletter from two seasons-past America's Next Top Model. Yes, she was skinny as heck.

All in all, the crowd seemed to know each other already, so in order to feel super comfortable you have to: a) become well-versed in your art terms ("That painting is rad" is probably not the best phrase to use around these people) and b) become best friends with an "in" art-hipster. But, I'll definitely go to another opening there again...and I'm definitely working on Option "b".

Sunday night was a very interesting peruse through the LACMA with roomie E. and friend M. from South Bay. Thing to to note: the LACMA is free in the general areas after 5 pm -- except for special runs, like the current Magritte exhibit. The highlight of my museum evening was strolling through the "Breaking the Mode: Contemporary Fashion from the Permanent Collection" exhibit, which runs till the second week of January. Fashion-foward designs by fashion-forward designers were on display -- I was not at all surprised to see pieces from Rei Kawakubo, Jean Paul Gaultier, Alexander McQueen, Yohji Yamamoto, Madame Gres, Madame Vionnet, Herve Leger, Thierry Mugler, Azzadine Alaia, Issey Miyake, the elusive Martin Margiela and Junya Watanabe. It was double-y interesting to read the descriptions of how certain silhouettes were conceptualized and brought to life. There was a slew of FIDM students madly scribbing notes for design homework assignments. The girl with the Norma Kamali cropped genie sweatpants and Tory Burch "Teva" flats ruled.

This exhibit is most certainly a must-see for any fashionistas out there.








Highlight of Sunday evening? Going to the Starbucks on Fairfax to grab a caramel apple cider after the musuem, only to watch the lone barista go batty trying to make our drinks. He was either on serious adderrall or 1,000 cups of espresso. The poor fella was talking 200 miles a minute and his hand was shaking like Parkinson's while pouring the cider.

Do not -- I repeat DO NOT -- got the Starbucks on Fairfax at 8 pm on Sunday nights. You might be extremely frightened by the chemically-charged, nerdy, white barista boy behind the counter.

I'm Lovin' it: The shy African-American young man who asked me my take on a surreal glass blown sculpture of armless angels beside a tornado at the LACMA. He left me a speechless with his insight, intelligence and polite, "Have a good evening, Miss" before flitting away.

ALSO...

My new black cowlneck sweater dress (which I picture with my black opaque tights and red vintage boots) and my new kimono-sleeve dress with silver thread-embroidery and silver rope waist tie (which I picture with my skinny dark denim or my footless gray tights and Aldo ankle boots from three or four years ago -- hallelujah they're back in style!)

I'm Over it: The nasty old lady in front of me in line at the 99 Cent store who yelled at me for letting my Bottega Veneta-inspired bag (note the word "inspired", aka. fake) touch her back. Apparently she has "very, very sensitive skin!!!" (Said to me in high decibels). Geez, all I wanted to do was to pay for my toiletpaper. And I do believe I said "Geez!" to her. Wow, that is SO 1989.

Album of the Weekend: "Change It All" by Goapele. She's somewhat of a mix between Alicia Keys and Jill Scott. Her silky smooth voice is enough to soothe the most savage beast: Haute Hippie trying to get home in back-to-back traffic on the 405 South. Favorite tracks? "Closer" and "First Love". Go to Target in order to pay only $9.99, as I did this weekend!

www.myspace.com/goapelemusic

* Photos property of lacma.org


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home