Saturday, November 25, 2006

Relationship Food For Thought: Flossin'

Last night, E. and I talked at length about the trials, tribulations and joys of being in a relationship.

I told him that while in the middle of buying minted wax floss at CVS Pharmacy yesterday, I had a mini-epiphany about why relationships are so troubled and/or so hard to find nowadays.

There I had stood, in front a huge track filled with dozens and dozens of varying floss: cinnamon-flavored floss, wide string floss, unwaxed floss, spearmint floss, fluoride-infused floss, natural floss and floss for those with sensitive gums. My eyes glazed over trying to choose. I finally decided to go by price point, and eventually picked up the waxed kind at 30 yards for $1.99. Seemed like a good deal to me.

This brings up one conclusion and one question:

1. The reason it's so hard to find someone -- who is the right fit for you -- is simply because there are too many damn choices nowadays. Everyone's always got one foot out the door. Even I've been guilty of it. You meet a person who seems to be perfect -- on paper -- because they have all the pre-requisites you seek: university-educated, respectful, open-minded, intelligent, good-natured, physically compatible, and funny. But something's missing...a little je ne sais quoi, the red-hot passion. Like finding the waxed floss you need, but learning all the mint-flavored ones are gone. Sort of.

2. The question that the conclusion brings up is this: because there are so many choices out there, do most people simply give up the search, ending up compromising and settling for that which is NOT the perfect fit? I think they just might. Afterall, I ended up with floss based entirely on price.

However, I'm still single, so somehow I think I'm on the right path. I recently kicked someone -- who had been a significant part of my history for a decade -- out of my life. Though I care for him a lot for many reasons, he's bad bad bad for me. Now I know better the kind of person that's good for (and to) me, and I certainly don't think I'll settle for anything less than that anymore.

Yes, sometimes it would be nice to have someone to snuggle in bed with, watch movies with, and hold my hand.

But sometimes loving -- and knowing -- yourself is all you really need.

And one day, Wentworth Miller or Ryan Gosling will come around and ask me to marry him.

The End.






* Photos property of Google Images

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will fight you for Wentworth and Ryan! ;)

6:57 PM  
Blogger brian! said...

Hah - I share your sentiments on relationships. Our generation is faced with far too many options - there is always the opportunity to move, which leaves the "what if" question out there constantly. Everyone searches for their perfect soulmate, following an ideal. But that ideal most likely doesn't exist. Love is the compromise between dreams and reality. Once people realize that they can be happy.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Gigi said...

mac cosmetics master classes

I love what you wrote, though I only read it now. I've this friend too who fall for me and I've a feeling for him. But the sad thing about it, is someone came and caught my attention, fall for this stranger and left my friend in pain. After a month the man I choose to love left me and leave but this friend of mine always been there all along. Until I work in another country until I get back. And it's very frustrating that I can't love him back the way he loves me. Because no matter how he loves me, I'll always stand for what I feel and what makes me happy, and I can't find that fulfillment for him. There's this huge piece that is missing. Finally, a week ago, I found that piece and still working on it.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home