Friday, June 04, 2010

Happy Friday! It Don't Matter If You're Black and White.

There's such a classic, stark element to black and white photography.

I like that the subjects at hand are the focal point, not the color, kind of like a "what you see is what you get" feeling.

I've been staring at this Philippe Halsman photo of Salvador Dali for weeks. The world's great surrealist, Dali was captured in his element by Halsman -- both of whom were great friends -- during this shot called "Dali Atomicus", taken in 1948.

Might I remind everyone that Photoshop didn't exist back then? Wow.




For a current black and white, taken this year, I've been quite enraptured by this one of 2010 CFDA Vogue Fashion Fund nominee, the Paris-born and raised Joseph Altuzarra. One of the most buzzed about new designers of the last few years, he launched his first women's ready-to-wear line in 2009 after some time at Marc Jacobs, Proenza Schouler and Givenchy (under Ricardo Tisci).

This fellow is going places.




Happy Friday!

xo
Haute Hippie


I'm Lovin' it: Spot me in the background in some of these Obakki F/W '10 runway shots on Fashion Toast. Clue: I'm wearing grey. Rumi Neely and her boyfriend Colin are very nice, by the way!


I'm Over it: Ugh. It's so cliche but the rain. Gaaaaaaaaaah.


Track of the Day: My girl Suze and a hilarious buddy of hers have been going back and forth on FB with their ultimate jams of the summer. Thanks to the FB Newsfeed, I caught this suggestion: "Psychic City (Classixx Remix)" by Yacht. Yep, I've already been using it as my walking-around-the-city soundtrack single.





* Photo property of Philippe Halsman, nymag.com, WWD and are used solely for commentary purposes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home