Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Stepping Up To Bauti

I was flipping through one of those high-end, glitzy fashion and design magazines at the Granville & Broadway Chapters the other day and came across a pretty frock -- though it was in black, not pale pink -- by Spanish designer Nino Bauti.

Curious as to who this mysterious Mr. Bauti was, a little web research yielded the following information: Spanish-born, graduated from St. Martin's, worked for Alexander McQueen, Armani and Louis Vuitton, started his eponymous collection with stylist-slash-fashion editor Niki Brodie, and designs feminine frocks that fall so easily on the female form that anyone who puts it on a Nino Bauti piece will instantly look ready for a Vogue editorial spread.

His Spring/Summer 2007 collection contained a color palette from out of the usual norm -- instead of neon brights or pretty pastels for a light-hearted season -- Bauti and Brodie opted for richer, earth tones in fluid shapes. I heart their burnished gold and black vertical striped sleeveless mini dress (Look #14), which goes brilliantly with flats, gladiator sandals, round-toes, wooden heels or platforms. The black Giambattista Valli-esque dress (Look #2) comes in as a close runner-up.

I'd post pictures of both dresses, but the Nino Bauti website's macromedia flash loop thing-y prevents image poachers like me from uploading.

But get thee to their site. It'll be worth the extra clicking and scrolling trouble.





I'm Lovin' it: Possible career advancements. Here's to tomorrow at 1:30 pm.

I'm Over it: Super hot power couples. For example: London-born supermodel Jacquetta Wheeler and comely fashion photographer Alexi Lubomirski. Wheeler -- who is no older than 25 -- has been mugging for the camera for at least six or seven years, while Lubomirski used to be the assisant to uber-fashion photographer Mario Testino and has definitely come into his own right. Okay, okay. So I kid. I'd love to be the Jacquetta to someone's Alexi.




Track of the Day: "It's You, It's Me" by Kaskade. This track's definitely a repeat on my iPod Nano. Kaskade rolled into L.A. on January 14th, but I -- very unfortunately -- missed it due to my move back to Vancity. Perhaps a show at The Commodore is in order? Yeah, I think so.








* Photos property of bernama.com, fashionweekdaily.com, virginmegamagazine.com